Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Roasted Garlic Potato Soup

I have to put this into words before I forget what I did tonight.  This soup is great for a cold night.  The ingredients are simple, but it did take some time.  I like to put time into my soup.  Time is what we have on this earth anyway, right?  It's all about what we decide to do with it.  When peeling potatoes, slicing onions and buttering bread, we are provided ample time to pray, meditate and reflect over God's goodness, His expectations and His Word.  So, here it is (the recipe):

2 garlic heads (roast with olive oil and salt @ 400 degrees for about 30 min) blended
6 slices bacon
2 T olive oil
Medium onion
2 (32 oz) cartons organic chicken stock
2 cups water
1/2 C milk (I use skim organic)
3 lbs potatoes, peeled, cubed
sea salt
pepper

Cut bacon into pieces and cook in a little olive oil.  Drain on paper towels.
Cook thinly sliced onion in remaining bacon grease on low heat for about 30 min.  The onion will all but dissolve into the soup.
Add chicken stock and water.
Bring to a boil.  Add desired amount of salt and pepper.
Add potatoes.  Boil until softened.  Mash about half of the potatoes.
Squeeze garlic out of heads. ( I added garlic with milk to Magic Bullet and blended)
Turn off heat and add garlic and milk.
Top with bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment