Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Table

One of my favorite places to be is in our dining room at the table with my family.  I love to cook for everyone, but being at the table is more about sharing our lives through the details of our day.  We start out by sharing something good and something bad (to get the ball rolling), but after years of training, our children need little probing.  


Every few weeks, I try to add a family project to the wall so that we can have a particular focus.  A few weeks ago, I posted 1 Thes. 5:18, and we spent a couple of weeks writing things we're thankful for.  Currently, we have 1 Cor. 10:31 posted.  It says, "So whether you eat or drink or... (we have a blank spot where we fill in all that we may be doing) ...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  We teach verses like these over dinner then use the activity over the following days.  Below is a picture.
The table has provided great opportunities for speaking the gospel into every day situations with one another.  This has also proven true when other families join us at the table to support us in our time of need or to be supported in their time of need.


There is another reason I love the table.  I love to cook!  I've always loved to cook, but I've spent the last year trying to cook healthier, more natural meals.  Below is a recipe we have enjoyed this winter.  I suppose this exact recipe could be found online, but I created this based on what I like in Tortilla Soup (so I'm taking credit for it).


Chicken Tortilla Soup


Roast 4 chicken breasts with skin and bone, drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cumin.  Squeeze juice of one lime and roast lime as well.  Roast for one hour at 400 degrees.  Cool.  Shred.  Keep the lime.


In a pot, saute, a small diced onion in 2 T of olive oil for 4 minutes.  Add 2 cloves of garlic for 1 min.
Add:
2 boxes organic chicken broth (32 oz each)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can corn (drained)
2 cans diced green chilis with juice
2 T cumin
1 t salt (more if needed)
1/2 t pepper (more if needed)
Brown Rice (I add the 1/2 cup already cooked rice)
Bring to a boil.  Drop to simmer.
Add chicken.
Squeeze in pulp of lime.  I think this is essential.


Topping:
Fresh avocado
Shredded Natural Monterey Jack Cheese
Sour cream
Tortilla Strips

No comments:

Post a Comment